Monday, February 1, 2010

A Day in the Life

Its actually pretty funny the responses you get when you say you are a "Social Worker" or "Work in Social Services.", which is how I like to explain my career. The usual response is something empathetic like, "Wow. That must be hard.. work.." or sometimes when people want to say "That sucks" instead they say, "Ohhhh."

It doesn't bother me anymore, now it just makes me laugh! When I think about it, I would respond the same way. Like who wants to work in the system and try to "fix kids" that seem unfixable. Well lucky for me, I believe in the very Life Changing Power of Jesus Christ. He can do anything! I really don't know why someone would want to work in this field without that.

Todays highlight: I met a little 5 day old baby that one of my "kids" (22 year old) just brought into this world. I was watching her sit there, holding him... Wow, life is a miracle! He is so tiny but with really BIG hands and feet! How sweet his precious life is to Jesus. I'm so glad she decided to bring him out of the womb. Sometimes my kids decide not to.

Usually Mondays are FUN-days because our answering machines are filled with interesting messages and for some odd reason its like the "kids" [NOTE: my "kids" are between 18-24 year old former foster youth. They aren't really kids.] missed us and want to provide LOTS for us to do on Mondays! (sarcasm...) I usually don't mind it because I like to be prepared. I usually prepare myself for a disaster and when its anything less, well, What a Blessing!

Today wasn't too bad... it consisted of some moving chaos. AKA County social workers calling numerous times upset that we hadn't furnished kids' apartments. A message from a landlord that one of my kids got into a huge fight over the weekend and used her baby as a shield, therefore dropping the child. CPS report tomorrow. :( Ending around 7:45pm with a community meeting with many "Opinions and personal statements" If you know me, I hate meetings that run too long, get off topic or have a severe lack of structure. Its like a pet peeve or something. My favorite professor in college told us "Never have a meeting without a purpose." Why do social workers like not get this?? Hmm.

Well to wrap it up, I'm hiding in my room while my roommate has her small group. I like overhearing comments about what God is doing in people's lives. Sweetness. Now I'm signing off.

That was a day in the life, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. the life of a social worker...should be "the life of an angel" you guys do so much work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete